- Lewandowski nets opener in the 81st minute for Bayern.
- Kimmich adds second in stoppage time with his first goal for his club after netting first for Germany last week.
- Bayern have now won their opening two league games of the season; Schalke lost two out of two.
FC Bayern München left it late to make it two wins out of two with late efforts from Robert Lewandowski and Joshua Kimmich enough to see off a dogged FC Schalke 04 side.
FC Schalke 04 0-2 FC Bayern München
Goals: 0-1 Robert Lewandowski (81′), 0-2 Joshua Kimmich (90+2′)
Bayern had their now customary three quarters of the possession for much of the opening 15 minutes before the hosts settled and enjoyed a good spell which included the first shot of the game from Leon Goretzka. The first clear sight of goal came at the other end, though, with Lewandowski side-footing Thomas Müller’s cross just wide of the far post. Schalke squandered an even better opportunity shortly before the interval when Klaas-Jan Huntelaar failed to make the most of a loose ball at the near post after excellent work from Rahman Baba and Yevhen Konoplyanka down the left.
Huntelaar rattled the crossbar with the first shot of the second half, Manuel Neuer getting a crucial fingertip to the Dutchman’s strike from distance. Both coaches made changes to try to instigate a reaction – Breel Embolo and Max Meyer both entering for the hosts and Douglas Costa and Arturo Vidal seeing action for Bayern – but it was Lewandowski who made the difference, lifting his shot into the roof of the net just five minutes after missing an easier opportunity, before teeing up Kimmich for his first goal for Bayern to wrap up victory.
Man of the Match
With a goal and an assist, Lewandowski was decisive once again for Bayern.
With Bayern netting 11 goals in their first two competitive games of the season and Schalke conceding in their last 12 matches, few would have expected this to be such a tight fixture, but only two late goals decided it in Bayern’s favour.
- Schalke coach Weinzierl made six changes from the side which lost to Frankfurt on Matchday 1. Yevhen Konoplyanka and Benjamin Stambouli both came in for their Bundesliga debuts and Matija Nastasic returned after almost 13 months out.
- It was goalless at half-time of these two sides’ last meeting on Matchday 30 last season, with Bayern going on to win 3-0.
- Lewandowski gave Bayern a 1-0 lead nine times last season, and with his sixth shot of the night, he scored the crucial game opener once again.
Schalke: Fährmann – Höwedes (c), Naldo, Nastasic, Baba – Stambouli (Kolasinac 86′), Bentaleb – Konoplyanka (Embolo 55′), Goretzka, Choupo-Moting – Huntelaar (Meyer 67′)
Coach: Markus Weinzierl
Bayern: Neuer – Lahm (c), Javi Martinez, Hummels, Alaba – Xabi Alonso (Vidal 61′) – Thiago, Renato Sanches (Kimmich 70′) – Müller, Ribery (Costa 61′) – Lewandowski
Coach: Carlo Ancelotti